Cinco de Mayo might be over, but the fun doesn’t have to stop!!! I whipped up these baked jalapeno poppers. They’re a bit different than your traditional jalapeno popper… baked instead of fried, barely any breadcrumbs/breading, and made with a smoked gouda cheese. There’s something about smoked cheese that gives me all of the feels of summer and boy do I love the feels of summer!!!
I had fresh jalapenos and fresh sweet peppers. If you’re not into the spice, you could easily do these in a sweet pepper. However, I used those pretty little peppers for my Bean Stuffed Mini Sweet Peppers recipe.
Ok, so now let’s talk about the jalapenos. I’m NOT a fan of all of that spice. I like a teeny bit, but I feel as though the older I get the less adventurous I am getting when it comes to burning my mouth off. So, I wear a pair of gloves and remove all of the seeds and then I cut out all of the white. If you don’t cut out the white, your little peppers may still be packin’ some heat!!
See that? All cleaned up & ready to go. Don’t get me wrong – some of these little guys might still have some heat (some peppers are just naturally spicier than others) but without the seeds and white membrane they’ll be bearable.
Ok, now that the jalapenos are done let’s start on the delicious cheesy filling!!!! I combined cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and shredded smoked gouda in my mixer and mixed it all up!
Then I scooped the cheese mixture into the peppers
and topped with more shredded cheese.
Then I baked them in the oven on 350 until the cheese had melted and the peppers had started to soften.
They’re fun, delicious, super easy to make and a healthier way to enjoy a jalapeno popper!!!
Baked Jalapeno Popper
1 block cream cheese
1/4 c shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 c shredded smoked gouda cheese (I used DiBruno Brothers and shredded at home)
Panko bread crumbs (optional)
Shredded smoked gouda & shredded cheddar cheese for topping.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Wearing gloves, slice your jalapenos in half. Remove seeds. Cut out white membrane.
- Combine cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, and shredded smoked gouda in large mixing bowl. Mix until fully combined
- Scoop your cheese mixture into your jalapenos.
- Top with additional shredded cheddar and/or gouda. I used cheddar on some and gouda on some.
- Top with panko bread crumbs (optional – I topped a few of mine)
- Bake on 350 for approximately 10 minutes or until cheese has melted and slightly browned.