Blueberries are hard to get right now, so of course I want them the most! I went on a hunt to find some and boy did I! I bought a huge pack for $9.00! I know, a little ridiculous for blueberries in my opinion but man were they tasty! 😉 Some of them were HUGE compared to the others!!
For this blueberry breakfast bake I used kings Hawaiian rolls! I cut them into bite size squares/rectangles. Then I added 1 layer of bread, then a layer of blueberries, then another layer of bread, and another layer of blueberries.
I creamed the cream cheese and then added my wet ingredients and lemon zest and whisked it all together. Then I poured it over the bread. I wrapped this with cling wrap and put it in the fridge overnight.
Then I prepped my crumb crust and put that in the fridge so it was ready to go for the next morning.
In the morning I added the crumble to the top & baked it for 35 minutes on 350. It was golden, with some crispy bread on top and a gooey soft cream-cheesy center. Oh baby. The lemon is just perfect in this!!
1 package kings Hawaiian original dinner rolls (cubed)
1 1/2 c blueberries
1 1/2 c milk
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons maple syrup
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
Ingredients for crumble topping
1/4 c flour
1/4 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 c butter
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Spray a 9 x 13″ pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut your King’s Hawaiian rolls into cubes. Add one layer to your baking dish. Then top with blueberries. Repeat.
- Cream your cream cheese, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a mixing bowl. Add zest of 1 lemon and maple syrup. Whisk in eggs & milk.
- Pour cream cheese mixture over top of your bread. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and powdered sugar. Cut your butter into tiny cubes and use your hands to combine with your flour mixture. Crumble this and keep in the fridge overnight.
- When ready to eat, crumble your topping evenly over your breakfast bake and bake on 350 for 35 minutes.