I was in the mood for an easy and comforting dinner. It was rainy and cold outside…. what’s better than grilled cheese when it’s rainy and cold?!
Fancy grilled cheese! My husbands request was “not just cheese and bread.” Hm, ok! The options are limitless 😜
I took those beautiful medley tomatoes and sliced them into thin slices.
I buttered one side of the bread and put feta cheese on top of the non buttered side.
Then I added the pretty little sliced tomatoes. I also added some black olives to hubbs.
And the baby lettuce!
And then the red onion. Annnndddd then I realized these sandwiches were huge and flipping them wasn’t going to be an option so I pulled out my panini maker!
On the panini maker they went for about 5 minutes (not preheated).
Delicious, melted feta and warm mozzarella ohh baby. Now that’s a grilled cheese.
4 slices bread (spread on one side with butter)
Feta cheese (about 1/4 c total)
6 medley tomatoes (sliced thin)
4 slices red onion
Black olives (optional)
1. Butter one side of your bread slices
2. Slice your tomatoes and red onion into thin slices
3. Add feta, tomatoes, black olives, lettuce, and red onion to your bread and top with 2nd piece of bread
4. Toast in a panini maker for 5 min on a non preheated panini maker.
The panini maker will fold the sandwich together nicely and hold all of those delicious Mediterranean ingredients in.
Now on to my personal favorite… mushroom, onion, and cheddar grilled cheese.
I started with 6 mushrooms sliced thin and 1/2 red onion sliced thin. I added that to my nonstick skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp parsley, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
Saute them until the mushrooms have started to brown and the onions become carmelized.
Once they’re carmelized and looking delicious, I added them to the bread. (The opposite side of the bread was buttered).
Oh baby…. look at how good that looks.
I could eat this just with a fork. But I’m not going to….
I added them to a pan and piled some cheddar cheese on top!
And added the other buttered bread slice. I had also sprinkled garlic salt on both sides that were buttered.
Viola! Perfectly browned and melted grilled cheese.
4 slices bread (butter on one side)
Garlic salt (sprinkled on to buttered side of bread)
1 tablespoon olive oil
5-6 mushrooms (sliced thin)
1/2 red onion (sliced thin)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp parsley
Approx 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1. Butter your bread on one side of each slice. Sprinkle with garlic salt
2. Slice your mushrooms and red onion thin. Add to saute pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sptinkle on your garlic powder and parsley
3. Cook your mushrooms and onion until the onions have carmelized and the mushrooms have turned a golden brown
4. Add your mushrooms and onions to your 1 side of buttered bread. Top with cheese and 2nd slice of bread
5. Add the sandwich to the pan and let brown on one side. Flip and brown the other side
6. Enjoy! We served this with a cup of tomato soup.