Oh baby, I did it. I broke out of my savory breakfast routine and I made the most delicious french toast breakfast bake! My husband was very happy! This recipe is super easy and can be made ahead of time which makes it that much better!
I started with 1 loaf of sourdough bread and I cut it into cubes.
I put 1/2 of the loaf in a 9×13 pan.
Then I used my mixer to blend together 1 block (8 oz) philadelphia cream cheese, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. You want your cream cheese to be about room temperature here.
Then add the remainder of your cubed sourdough bread on top of the cream cheese.
Now you’re going to use your mixer again to blend together 2 c heavy cream, 8 eggs, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 2/3 c brown sugar. Mix this slow and only for about a minute. You don’t want it turning into whipped cream! 😉
Dump that right on top of your bread. I used a spoon and pushed the bread down a little bit to make sure it was all saturated! I then wrapped my 9×13″ pan with cling wrap and put it in the fridge overnight.
Before I called it a night though, I wanted to make the topping so it would be super easy in the morning! Using a pasty cutter, fork, or potato masher (yep – you caught me… I’m super cool like that), mix together 1/3 c brown sugar, 1/3 c flour, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and then cut 1 stick of butter into the mixture. I put this in a plastic baggie until the morning.
Yay! Morning came around and I sprinkled my baggy of sugary flour goodness on top of my breakfast bake. Then I baked for 50 minutes on 350!
We ate it immediately and we both LOVED it! I sliced the entire bake up and kept a few pieces for hubby & me at home. Then I put the rest of it in a container and took it to work. The girls in the office told me they loved it! Win, win!
French Toast Breakfast Bake
1 loaf sourdough bread
1 8 oz pack of cream cheese
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 c heavy cream
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 c packed brown sugar
Topping: 1 stick butter, 1/3 c brown sugar, 1/3 c flour, 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Cut your sourdough loaf of bread into squares. Add 1/2 of loaf to greased 9×13″ pan
- Using a mixer, blend together 1 room temperature 8 oz cream cheese pack, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons vanilla extract.
- Scoop your cream cheese mixture out & place on top of your bread in the 9×13″ pan. Don’t worry about perfecting this – Randomly place it all over.
- Add your remainder 1/2 loaf of bread to your 9×13″ pan.
- Using your mixer again, mix 8 eggs, 2 c heavy cream, 1 teaspoon cinnamon slowly for about 1 minute.
- 6. Dump egg and cream mixture on top of your bread in your 9×13″ pan. Using your hands or a spoon, push the bread down a little to make sure it’s all saturated.
- Cover with cling wrap & refrigerate overnight.
- Mix together your topping – 1/3 c brown sugar, 1/3 c flour, 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Using a pastry cutter or fork cut in 1 stick of butter. Place in plastic baggy in the fridge.
- When ready to eat, preheat oven to 350. Sprinkle topping on to your bake. Bake for 50 minutes.
- Enjoy! We drizzled maple syrup on top of ours just before diggin’ in! 🙂
*Recipe adapted from Sallys Baking Addiction