Remember that Crockpot Pumpkin Granola Stuffed Apple recipe I posted the other day? Well, these are the mini pies I promised I made from the leftover insides of the apples.
Add your flour and salt to a large bowl.
Cut your butter into your flour mixture. I used a potato masher to do this as I don’t have a pastry cutter (and can’t get myself to buy one as my potato masher has been so good to me for the past few years) but you could also use a pastry cutter or a fork to do the trick.
Use your dough hook to form your dough. Add in 1 tablespoon of water at a time. I ended up using between 5 and 6 tablespoons of water.
Flour your surface & your hands & knead your dough a few times. Then ball it up & use your hands to flatten it out as flat as you can get it.
Use a cup to cut a circle in your dough. Make sure the cup you’re using is going to be large enough to form a circle that can fit into your mini muffin pan.
Spray your mini muffin pan with Pam (I use a Misto with olive oil). Press your circular dough into your muffin pan with your hands. Do your best to get it up around the edges – You’ll want your “lid” to connect to this layer so you want to make sure you have enough pulled up to the top of the muffin.
Remember those leftover apples I was telling you about from making my Crockpot Granola Apples? Well, here they are! I chopped them up & melted in some butter, brown sugar, and spices. Pour in the apples!
Make sure you don’t overfill your apple cups. Trust me, I did this with one of mine (you can see in the below pictures). Fill it to the rim but don’t over stuff.
I did three different “lids” to my pies. First was the checkered then I did two full “lids” but sliced them different ways.
I baked them on 425 for 20 minutes. Then I added some melted butter to the top of them with a brush & baked them for another 3 minutes to get a little more brown. As you can tell, I filled the back right pie a little too much with apples (but I bet it’ll be the tastiest one).
They turned out so perfect & cute & bite size! I just love them.
2 ½ c apples (diced into little chunks)
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp brown sugar
Sprinkle of cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice
I got the pie crust recipe from Very Best Baking.
1 c flour
½ tsp salt
1/3 c butter
5-6 tablespoons water
1. Mix your flour and salt together. Use a pastry cutter (or if you’re like me and don’t own one you can use a fork or potato masher) to cut your butter into the flour. Add your water 1 tablespoon at a time until it’s the right consistency.
2. Use your dough hook on your mixer and let dough form.
3. Flour your kitchen surface & form dough into a ball. Use your hands to flatten the dough out – I tried to get it as thin as I could.
4. Find a cup that has a wider top to it (and would make a good size cut for your mini pie crust). Dip the top of your cup in flour & use it to cut a circle in your dough.
5. Spray your muffin pan with Pam (I use olive oil in my Misto) and use your fingers to stretch your circular dough cut into the muffin pan
6. Fill your dough with apple filling
7. Either cut another dough circle for the top of your mini pie or cut slices & make a checkered pie crust (or do both like I did).
8. Bake on 425 for 20 minutes.