Guys! I don’t know about you – but I LOVE a good veggie egg roll. I’m not a big fan of spring rolls, but well, you gotta do what you gotta do when you’re avoiding wheat &/or gluten. So, I figured I’d give it a try to fry a homemade spring roll and trick my brain to believe it’s an egg roll 🙂
I sliced cabbage, shredded carrots, cut up green onions, and added some organic pea sprouts all into a big bowl. I mixed them around and then I cooked them down a little bit.
I added a teeny bit of oil to my veggie mix and just sauteed them for a few minutes.
Then I added peanut oil to a pan to fry them.
I set up my kitchen in preparation for this gigantic mess I was about to make (remember, I was making 5 first time chinese dishes thig night – haha). I used a pie plate with warm water to soften my spring rolls. You have to dip them in for a few seconds and then you can lay them on a cutting board, load your veggie filling, and wrap the spring roll up. Then I put them on a cookie sheet to dry for a few minutes BEFORE frying. It’s important to make sure you’re letting them dry before you fry (that rhymes 😀 )
Don’t mind my stained cookie sheet – If your cookie sheets are perfect and don’t look like mine, we can’t be friends. I do have some VERY nice cookie sheets but for some odd reason I refuse to put them in the oven because I know if I start, they will end up exactly like the one above. Hah!
Once the spring rolls have dried, I put them in the peanut oil & let them fry. They only take a few minutes- You’ll know when they’re done because they turn a bubbly brownish color.
Being honest here, they didn’t turn out perfect. As you can see the one ended up with a GIANT hole in the side of it. Yikes! They also soak up a lot of the oil so make sure you’re frying these right before you’re ready to eat them – A double fry is not going to work well & it’s going to make them extra soggy if you try.
We served these up with some duck sauce & spicy mustard that we still had on hand from the last time we ordered Chinese food. They were pretty amazing – honestly it worked to satisfy my craving for an egg roll!
1 head cabbage
4-5 green onions
3 shredded carrots
Handful pea sprouts (optional)
1. Slice your cabbage and reen onions and combine with shredded carrots and pea sprouts in a big bowl. Mix these all up
2. Add to a saute pan & cook down for 3 minutes.
3. Using a pie pan with warm water in it, add your spring roll until it begins to soften. Lay your spring roll on a cookie sheet or plate and add your veggie cabbage filling. Roll your spring roll up (top, bottom, and then roll sides in). Set on a cookie sheet to dry for at least 5 minutes.
4. Heat your peanut oil in a frying pan. Once heating, fry your spring rolls until golden brown.
5. Once your spring rolls are golden brown, set on a plate covered with a napkin for a few minutes to cool. Once cooled, enjoy!