This cheesy cauliflower soup touches your soul and warms your belly. Ok, maybe that’s the wee bit of cayenne pepper, but you get where I’m going 😉
Sometimes laziness works in my favor a little. I get creative. I wanted broccoli cheddar soup (and I’m not talking homemade… I was going to run to the store and buy a can or a bag and add the milk). However, since I was too stinkin’ lazy to run to the store, I remembered that I had a ½ head of cauliflower in the fridge and weeeeelp, cheddar cheese is pretty much a staple in my house so of course I had that! So cheesy cauliflower soup it is!
Now that I made this, I don’t know if I’ll ever go back to can/bag soup again! It’s super easy and tasty and made my house smell amazing! AND, it’s husband approved!
I took my ½ head of cauliflower, and broke & cut it into bite size pieces. Some pieces I left a little larger than bite size. Add this to a big pot.
Then I dumped in 2 ½ c water & 3 chicken bullion cubes. Cook until tender.
Once I noticed that the cauliflower started to become tender, I started on my cheesy sauce.
I started on my cheesy sauce by making a roux. (Gosh, that’s such a fun word – roux). I added 2 tablespoons flour & 2 tablespoons butter. I whisked together until the butter was completely melted & it all mashed together. Then I added in (slowly) my 1 c heavy cream. I whisked that until it was all incorporated. Then I added in my seasonings and my three cups of cheese.
Once you have your cheesy sauce you want to dump that into the pot with your tender cauliflower and mix it all up. Keep it on low for 20 minutes & then serve (with extra cheese on top to make it extra delicious).
½ head cauliflower
1 medium onion (chopped)
3 chicken bullion cubes
2 ½ c water
1 c heavy cream
2 c 2% milk
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter
3 c shredded cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon parsley
½ tablespoon garlic powder
½ tablespoon salt
1. Cut/Break your cauliflower into pieces a little larger than bite size. Add to large pot.
2. Add 2 ½ c water & 3 chicken bullion cubes to cauliflower.
3. Cook cauliflower until tender.
4. Once cauliflower is tender, start on your cheesy sauce. Add 2 tablespoons butter & 2 tablespoons flour to a sauce pan. Whisk until combined.
5. Add 1 c heavy cream (slowly) and whisk until combined with your butter/flour.
6. Add 2 c milk & whisk again until combined. Cook for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
7. Add your seasonings/spices.
8. Add 3 cups cheese & whisk.
9. Add your cheesy mix to your tender cauliflower. Mix until combined & then let cook on low for 20 minutes.
10. Enjoy! 🙂