Guys… these are SO GOOD!!! I’ve made them a few times before but this time they were absolutely spot on & amazing! The first time I had them was when my neighbor made up a big batch of them and she brought them to our fire out back & we munched on them. I was shocked how yummy they are! They always make them because their good friends are vegetarians. I’ve been making them ever since!
I had a head of cauliflower in my fridge that I needed to use. I had bought it for the veggie trays I made up but I completely forgot I had bought it & therefore never added it to the veggie trays. I sliced & broke up the cauliflower pieces into bite size chunks.
This is the first time I was trying the buffalo bites with gluten free flour!
I mixed the flour with water to create a creamy yet not liquidy coating for the cauliflower breading.
I sprinkled in a bunch of seasonings to make the breading taste extra delicious – Garlic powder, paprika, turmeric, salt, pepper, and cumin.
I whisked that all together and it looks like a spicy mayo or a spicy ranch. Hah!
Then I dumped in a batch of the cauliflower pieces and completely coated them in the breading mixture. It’s important that your breading mixture isn’t runny – You want it to stick right to the cauliflower pieces.
Once they were coated I put them on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper. I baked them for 20 minutes at 450 degrees.
They came out looking soooo yummy!
While they were baking, I cut up celery and made my hot sauce for the buffalo cauliflower bites.
I mixed together franks red hot & smart balance dairy free butter for the hot sauce.
After the wings baked at 400 derees for 20 minutes, I dunked them into the hot sauce & put them back on the parchment paper.
Back in the oven they go at 450 for another 20 minutes.
I wish I could share the delicious spicy smell coming from my oven. I’m pretty sure I told my husband a million times how excited I was to eat dinner as they were baking. I kept opening the oven to get a better smell. It was incredible.
Guys – these turned out PERFECT! I was thinking I might have to add more hot sauce to them once they were done (which you certainly could do) but they were just enough spicyness & crispy & amazing! Of course, the gluten free flour doesn’t get them as crispy as a regular flour would but I was impressed!!!!
We served these babies up with some celery & Ore-Ida shoestring fries (the ones that taste just like McDonalds). Dave had blue cheese with them & I dunked them in my Daiya Ranch. Did I mention how amazing these are? I would eat them every. single. day.
1 head Cauliflower
1 ½ c Gluten Free Flour
1 ½ cups water
Seasonings: Garlic powder, Turmeric, Salt, Pepper, Cumin, Paprika (I did not take measurements here – I just sprinkled some in)
Ingredients for hot sauce:
Franks Red Hot
Smart Balance dairy free butter
(Again, I didn’t really measure here – I scooped some butter out of my smart balance dairy free container – 3 heaping spoon fulls and then poured in red hot to taste – a little at a time and then taste so you’re happy with it)
Celery & FF
1. Break/slice your cauliflower head into bite size pieces.
2. Line a baking sheet with parcement paper
3. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees
4. Whisk your 1 ½ c gluten free flour & 1 ½ c water together.
5. Add your seasonings – Again, I did not measure – I just sprinkled. I added garlic powder, turmeric, salt, pepper, cumin, and paprika. Whisk these in to your flour & water mixture.
6. Place a handful or two of your cauliflower pieces into your breading mixture & mix around to coat your cauliflower.
7. Place your coated cauliflower onto your parchment paper
8. Bake at 450 for 20 minutes.
9. While your cauliflower is baking, cut up your celery & make your hot sauce. I took 3 heaping spoon fulls of dairy free butter & partially melted it in the microwave. Then I poured in some red hot & whisked it together. Taste. If it’s not spicy enough – add more red hot. If it’s too spicy – add more dairy free butter.
9. Once cauliflower has baked for 20 minutes, dunk it in the hot sauce & place back on the parchment paper.
10. Once all of your cauliflower bites are dunked in hot sauce, bake them for another 20 minutes on the parchment paper at 450.
11. After 20 minutes, enjoy!
My husband did use some extra hot sauce on his cauliflower bites, but I thought they were amazing without any extra. They’re spicy & crunchy & satisfying. I dunked mine in Daiya Ranch & the hubby used bleu cheese. We ate them with celery & Ore-Ida ShoeString FF.