Yep, you heard that right! BACON WAFFLES. Woah! I’m hoping you’re as excited as I am!!! If you don’t like bacon, we can’t be friends.
My favorite bacon is basically any bacon without nitrates & nitrites. I try not to be a huge health freak weirdo when it comes to food, but at the same time I’m picky about some things. If I can, I buy the nitrate/nitrite free bacon and this kind is definitely at the top of my favorite foods list!
Cook your bacon and chop into pieces.
I left some of it chopped but not chopped up real small.
The rest I really chopped up into a little bit bigger than bacon bits.
Once you make up your waffle mix, add your bacon in. My waffle batter can be found here, but I’ll also post it again at the bottom for ease. The only difference between that waffle batter and this is that I added bacon grease and bacon to this one.
Once your bacon is mixed in, you can add your egg whites.
Grease your waffle iron – I had a genius idea to grease it with bacon grease and then decided against it because I knew I’d end up with a mess on my hands trying to rub hot bacon grease all over my waffle iron. I went with my Misto instead – Pam works just as well. Plop your waffle mix into your waffle iron!
Cook for 1 ½ minutes on each side (3 mins total)
Top with your bigger bacon chunks & maple syrup!
My husband and I loved these! Next time I may add some green onion & jalapenos to really spice them up & make them extra savory!
Bacon Waffles (Makes 4 large waffles)
2 c flour
4 tsp baking powder
¼ c sugar
2 eggs (separated)
½ c oil
1 ½ c evaporated milk
1 lb bacon
2 tbsp bacon grease
1. Mix together flour, baking powder, and sugar. Set aside
2. Separate your eggs. Beat egg whites until soft peaks.
3. Combine egg yolk, oil, and evaporated milk.
4. Mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients. Leave batter a little lumpy (do not over mix).
5. Cook your pound of bacon & chop into tiny pieces. Leave some pieces larger for a topping on your waffle.
6. Mix in tiny bacon pieces to your waffle mix.
8. Add 2 tablespoons bacon grease (do NOT use a plastic utensil here – use a metal spoon to scoop two spoon fulls of hot bacon grease) to your waffle mix
7. Fold in egg whites.
8. Add batter to waffle maker & cook 1 ½ minutes on each side.
9. Top with bacon pieces & maple syrup.